Baked Macaroni & Cheese
Take some pasta, add a ridiculous amount of cheese, and then wood-fire it for maximum flavor. So simple, yet so brilliant.
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hours
Serves: 8 people
- 5 Quart Water
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Pound Elbow Macaroni
- 12 Tablespoon Butter, Divided, Plus More For Coating The Pan
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 2 Cup Milk
- 2 Pound Velveeta Or American Cheese, Cut Into 1/2 Inch Cubes
- Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Grated Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Add the macaroni and stir. Cook for 2 minutes less than the time recommended on the package (the pasta will continue to cook in the Traeger). Stir periodically to keep the pasta from sticking.
- Drain well, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add the flour and mustard, whisking constantly. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes, being careful the mixture doesn’t begin to brown. Gradually whisk in 1-1/2 cups of the milk, whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the Velveeta, one-third at a time, until all the cheese is fully incorporated and melted.
- Add more milk if the cheese sauce seems too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir gently with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Butter a roasting pan or casserole dish and pour the macaroni and cheese evenly into the pan. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to coat with butter. Spread the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the macaroni and cheese and dust lightly with paprika.
- When ready to cook, set the Traeger temperature to 350℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese for 45-60 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and bubbling and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Rotate the pan 180° halfway through bake time. Serve hot. Enjoy!